Bed bugs are a growing menace particularly in Toronto and Canada, and lately have come back with a vengeance, making their presence felt in large numbers. The mere mention of these irksome creatures makes your skin crawl and instills paranoia into the hearts of many. Quite often the knowledge most people have of these bloodsuckers is often fraught with myths and misconceptions and as a consequence are at their wits end in tackling this problem. This is due to the elusive nature of these insects that often thrive undetected in people’s homes. Before we can resort to Toronto bed bug treatments, it is important to develop a better understanding of these creatures and dispel some of the myths and speculation that surround them.
1. Bed bugs only dwell in bedrooms – Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs can live anywhere. They subsist mostly on human blood and hence require a host. Bed bugs are nocturnal creatures and tend to inhabit bedrooms and sleeping rooms where they can feed on a slumbering host. They usually seek refuge in the most unlikely places including furniture and electronic devices and tiny cracks and crevices where they can hide.
2. Bed bugs only thrive in unsanitary homes – Unsanitary living conditions have little or nothing to do with bed bugs. In fact they are more unlikely to live in a squalid environment. These parasites are known to infest every type of human dwelling from apartments to five star hotels and everything in between. They are attracted to hosts and not filth.
3. Bed bugs transmit disease – Despite a prolonged research into the subject carried out by scientists, no documentation to suggest that bed bugs transmit diseases to people have been established yet. However bites can lead to severe rashes that resemble impetigo and if left untreated can at times get infected.
4. International travel increases your chances of bed bugs – Bed bugs are a global menace and are not just restricted to certain countries. Although international travel could increase the possibility, frequenting public places such as hotels and resorts could double your chances.
5. Bed bugs are microscopic – Bed bugs are tiny but conspicuous enough to the naked eye. They measure less than 1/4″ in size and have flat oval shaped bodies. They are very elusive creatures however, which makes it harder to identify the infestation. Contact pest control immediately if you find the tell tale signs of their presence in your home.
Bed bugs are nocturnal parasites, which mean they only emerge and feed at night. This makes it harder to flush them out and most bed bug treatment products prove ineffective in tackling this nuisance. Employing the services of a bed bugs Toronto pest control company is the best way to exterminate a bed bug infestation. Act now and protect your home from the onslaught of these loathsome parasites.